Taking Laravel certification exam


So... I had recently taken a Laravel certification exam and would like to share my experience and maybe help you decide on taking it as well :)

First of all, I would like to thank HELIS for giving me this opportunity. I remember when the news about this certification came out, our Laravel team decided to go for it and we spent a month or two preparing for it. Each weak we would gather in a meeting room for some presentations on chosen topics. One or two teammates would prepare some slides with sample code and we would discuss it after presentation. We even took our own created exams :)

However, even though vouchers have been ordered, it took quite some time to get emails telling that we can now take the exam. This certification is still new and was only in beta at first, but now they are rolling out emails to everybody. They still don't have yellow pages with a list of certified developers, but are working on that.

I was interested on what will be the process of certification, since you have to take it online. The email I got made it look quite complicated and strict. It tells that you may need to even use a phone and film yourself while taking the exam. However, this wasn't the case. All I needed was my ID, Google Chrome browser with one of their extensions installed (to film your desktop) and a web cam. You just have to make sure that you are alone in the room. There cannot be anyone talking near by and you cannot leave your place during the exam. So, go to the toilet beforehand 😀Also, no other applications or website can be opened as well.

To complete the test you are given one hour or forty minutes (can't remember exactly). I think there were twenty to thirty questions. Maybe more. The difficulty varies. Some were pretty easy and some required some business logic or knowledge of some commonly used practises as well. One major point to remember is not to guess. For a wrong answer you will get -1 point and 0 for skipped ones. All in all, the test wasn't that hard, but had good enough questions which proves your knowledge of the framework.

After I took the exam, the email with the results came in a week or two. Gladly I succeeded and now am proud of being a Laravel Certified Developer.

If you work with Laravel, I encourage to take the exam and show yourself and the world your skills!

Good luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surround yourself with smarter than you

Redis smooth throttling

Fast PHPUnit tests